Senior Research Optical Engineer
Avegant is a well-funded, venture-backed technology company developing next-generation display technology to enable previously impossible augmented reality experiences. We are pioneering innovative hardware and software solutions that will forever change how we learn, play, work and interact with each other. We’ve won multiple awards, our team is best in class, and we’re just getting started.
Avegant is about the journey of innovation, together as a team. Interested in joining us?
Avegant is seeking a Senior Optical Engineer to contribute to our cutting-edge near eye display technology. The position will be filled by a highly-motivated individual with at least 5 years of experience in a design and production environment. This position will be responsible for working with technical team members in the development and evaluation of new optical technologies, architectures, components, and assembly concepts for near-eye display systems. This is a great opportunity to be a part of a revolutionary technology in a fast-growing field. This position will work closely with our mechanical engineering, optical and industrial design teams. This position reports to the Chief Technology Officer. The job is based in Belmont, CA, and requires that you be onsite and not remote.
• Support product development with imaging system optical designs, component selection, and tolerance analysis
• Work with suppliers on custom or semi-custom component selection, specification, and qualification
• Assembly and evaluation of prototype assemblies – specifically evaluating optical characteristics, image quality (MTF), light polarization measurement, thermal characteristics
• Work with suppliers to define, specify, and evaluate optical coating performance on prototype components
• Maintain detailed laboratory notes of the results of various evaluation experiments
• Provide analysis of results of experiments for test samples
• Evaluate new test/process equipment and tools and make recommendations to management
• Maintain database of laboratory test results that can be accessed for comparison of data from various evaluation samples
• Provide documentation of prototype assembly procedures that can be used for subsequent manufacturing process documentation
• Bachelor’s Degree in optical engineering or similar; Master’s degree or PhD preferred
• 5 – 10 years’ work experience in optical design, including design of imaging systems, especially for image projection
• Experience with optical design software such as Zemax and FRED, including tolerance analysis and stay light modeling
• Experience with optical system assembly methods and materials
• Familiarity with the tools and techniques need to characterize optical systems, including resolution, distortion, field curvature and colorimetry
• Experience with waveguide optics a plus
• Experience with holographic or diffractive optics a plus
• Experience with Solidworks a plus
• Experience with the transfer of new designs and processes to manufacturing a plus